Canada House
Est. 1909. Re-est. 2017

History

 
 

The area surrounding Canada House originated as an open rural area adjacent to the then small town of Manchester.

As the small town developed in the early 19th Century, it progressively expanded along Oxford Street/Oxford Road. Originally this part of Manchester was largely occupied by substantial mills, engineering works and iron foundries.

One of the historic deeds stated that income from these lands should help in the relief of the poor and aged. We are committed to continuing this tradition.

Broadhurst & Lee_Pattern Shop_1900.jpg
 
 
 
 
Canada_House_Image_02.jpg

By the middle of the 19th century the area was starting to become a less industrial landscape.

This was largely due to the huge increase and demand for packing and shipping warehouses, which harnessed the railway and canal networks.

H.S. Booth & Company constructed a number of large modern packing warehouses on Oxford Street and Chepstow Street, culminating in the construction of their last building, Block D, now known as Canada House.

 
Canada_House_Diagram_03.jpg
 
 

By the end of the 19th century the area had again changed in use and had become a popular destination for the theatre.

A number of late-Victoria theatres began to appear along Oxford Street/Oxford Road.

History_01.jpg